Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two Steps Forward...

Packing everything was finalized today. Between the top box, throw-over panniers, tank bag, and sleeping bag roll, there is enough gear on this bike to make for a good escape from reality. All the gear fit nicely and has been itemized on a master list, so when I forget where I put something I won't need to dig aimlessly through everything. The trick will be not losing the list...

As I was attempting to load the luggage onto the bike, I discovered that the battery (the original from 2004) is dead. Fortunately, Batteries Plus had one locally that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. I was frustrated about incurring the cost of a new battery, but Leslie (my lovely, optimistic wife who always finds the silver lining) pointed out that I could have discovered my need for a new battery near Mt. Pisgah, NC in the rain. Good point. I did point out to her that, while it may be true that every cloud has a silver lining, thousands of people die from lighting strikes each year trying to find it...

With five days until departure, I'm actually looking forward to the trip and feel that we are as prepared as possible.

Donation Total Thus Far: $367.00
Thanks to everyone who has donated. Please continue to help us hit our goal of $1500.

No comments:

Post a Comment