Thursday, March 19, 2009

Getting Ready to Hit the Road

Today's preparation went much smoother than yesterday. The new battery from Batteries Plus in Trussville fit just right and the bike kicked off immediately. Loading the luggage onto the bike was also easier than expected. I've had difficulty in the past with the throw-over panniers, but they fit nicely over the new seat. Since everything has been itemized on my master list, it should go without saying that I'm comfortable with the organization of the luggage. For some reason I find it comforting that there's a place for everything, and everything's in its place.

I took the bike for a two-mile test run with all the gear on board to get a feel for braking, cornering, and steering. There is enough weight on the bike to make it feel like I'm carrying a mid-sized passenger, so adjustments will be made accordingly. The first adjustment will be the dismount. With all the luggage on board, slinging my big size 14 over the seat looks about as graceful as one of those Monty Python Spamalot knights.

Besides being comforted by the tediousness of packing, I am pretty excited about the trip as it inches closer. In Travels with Charley, John Steinbeck said: "In long-range planning for a trip, I think there is a private conviction that it won't happen." Such has been my experience in trying to plan a trip. This time, however, it looks like it might actually come off. The Bull will get a fluid change on Saturday and we'll get everything else as finalized as possible. With four days left until we embark, everything looks pretty well set.

Donation Total Thus Far: $367.00

1 comment:

  1. Travels With Charley = My favorite Steinbeck book. Hands down.

    ReplyDelete